Fire breakouts aren’t a natural calamity and we are actually the ones who invite such breakouts – at residential areas, fire is one of the most common causes of death. Since most of the fire breakouts are happening due to negligence, don’t you think it’s high time that you make your house fireproof?

Basically, you first need to understand how fire breaks out and what are the main causes, and ultimately, even if a fire breaks out at your house, what to do to minimize or reduce the damage.

What Causes Fires The Most?

While carelessness and forgetfulness are the main causes for fire breakouts in almost anything, there are certain things that can start a fire even if you pay attention.

Candles

Candles may be pretty to look at but, remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn. December is the peak time of year for home candle fires, however, the rest of the year is no exception. Statistics show that roughly one-third of home candle fires are started in the bedroom, and more than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle.

CANDLE WITH CARE:

  • Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep or just don’t forget to blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily and put the candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Light the candles carefully and make sure your hair and any loose clothing are away from the flame.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Never use candles during a power outage, always have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use
  • Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle and keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach at all times.

Electrical Malfunction

Electrical Malfunction is another important thing to pay attention to if you want to fireproof your house and avoid any fire breakouts. Whether you are in a residential area or at an office, make a habit of always checking an electrical appliance, checking any sparking plugs, checking for any foul smell of wire burning, and even the entire electrical system. It is very important to check and make sure that the wires, cables, and electrical appliances are fully functioning and do not have any problems.

  • Plug only one charging appliance into an outlet.
  • Do not use an extension cord when charging an appliance.

Electrical Malfunction is also the leading cause of garage fire breakouts. Garage fires tend to spread farther and cause more injuries and dollar loss than fires that start in all other areas of the home.

  • Store oil, gasoline, paints, and varnishes in a shed away from your home.
  • Keep items that can burn on shelves away from appliances.

Leaking Roofs

Fix any problems on your roof in order to avoid ungrounded wires. According to fire experts, one way that water can come in contact with electricity is through leaking roof, and if the water is not properly diverted, it starts to seep in through the attics, crawl spaces, and ceiling, through which most of the home’s electrical wiring is.

Gas Leakages

Another leading cause of fire breakouts. Always check for gas leaks every time you finish your chores in the kitchen, leaving the house or going to bed, and you’ll literally be one step closer to making your house fireproof.

Installing Smoke Detectors

Smoke alarms save lives. When there is a fire, the smoke spreads fast so the alarm gives you time to react or run before it’s too late. So not only that it is absolutely necessary to have a smoke detector on each level at your home, but it’s also vital to test them and check regularly if they work properly at least once a month. Do not keep smoke alarms older than 10 years.

Smoke alarms with unchangeable batteries are designed to work for 8-10 years, however, if the alarm chirps, warning that the battery is low sooner than the foreseen time, you need to change the entire alarm. For smoke alarms with changeable batteries, change them at least once monthly, and if the alarm chirps at any time, you need to change the battery right away.

To ensure the best protection, you need to interconnect all smoke alarms in the house – when one alarm sounds, all the other sound. This way you won’t mishear and you will be able to react on time.

An ionization smoke alarm is generally more responsive to flaming fires, while a photoelectric one is more responsive to smoldering fires. Both types of detection alarms should be installed in the home, or even better, an alarm that has a combination of both features.


If you’d like more information on the San Fernando Valley or Los Angeles, or to have help looking for your next home, please feel free to reach out! I’m happy to help, no obligation.

Find Your New Home!
Contact Me Today!