Like a lot of Southern California cities, the history of Studio city dates back to when California was a part of Mexico. Originally considered a part of an area known as Rancho Ex- Mission San Fernando with the rest of the San Fernando Valley, the Mexican government eventually sold the Ex-Mission lands as apart of a way to raise money for the Mexican-American War. Eulogio de Celis, the owner of a hide trading business, purchased the lands as part of a land grant from Governor Pío Pico
in 1846 – however by 1848 wiht the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, the American government took over, still honoring the original deal – though not recognizing it officially until after de Celis’ death. In 1874 de Celis’ son sold his portion to California Senator Charles Maclay, whose portioned off his share from partners Benjamin and George Porter at Sepulveda Blvd. The Porters took the west, Maclay took the east.
Eventually the famous Lankershim family purchased the area and made it a ranch and water company. In 1899, it unfortunately lost it rights to supply Los Angeles with water and was deemed non-viable for farming but business boomed after the Los Angeles Aqueduct brought water to the area. The property was eventually divided up between Harry Chandler, a business manager at the LA times, Hobart Whitley, Isaac Van Nuys and James Lankershim. The area known as Laurelwood, the original name for Studio City, was platted out by Whitley. Eventually in 1927, a wealthy land developer donated 20 acres to build a studio for actor/producer Mack Sennett and began developing the land–renaming the surrounding area Studio City. Today Studio City is home to CBS Studios and in close relation to Warner Brothers, Universal, Disney and many pre/post production houses.